Wednesday, November 26, 2008

cornbread

cornbread

This is my usual cornbread recipe, suitable for everyone except those with legume allergies. I actually usually make only half this much, in my little tiny frying pan, to serve Rachael and me. I made a big pan this time, though, because I wanted the leftovers for dressing.

It's surprisingly fluffy and un-dry for a cornmeal-only cornbread. If you like your cornbread sweet, increase the sugar to 2T.

My Cornbread (vegan, gluten-free)

3T corn oil, divided
2C cornmeal
1t each sugar, salt, and baking powder
1/4C water whisked together with
1/4C garbanzo bean flour
1T each potato starch, tapioca flour, and flax meal
2C soy yogurt

Heat oven to 425ºF. Put 2T oil in your 10" round or 9" square cast-iron skillet, and put in the oven to heat while you mix up your batter. Mix the cornmeal, sugar, salt, and yogurt in a medium bowl and mix the remaining ingredients in another bowl. Stir the two mixtures together till just combined, then scrape into the hot skillet and bake for about 25 minutes, till it's golden-brown and has nice crusty edges.

No comments: