Tuesday, January 13, 2009

health salad

wild rice seaweed salad iii

I made a big batch of this salad today to last me several of my upcoming six days of work. It's made up mostly of things I already had around, and I tried to include a little bit of everything necessary--fruit, veg, grain, legume, etc.--so that it would be a sufficient diet. I realised while I was at the movies that I should have added some nuts, so the pecans don't appear in the photos.

I smoked the tofu by smearing it with a sludge of garlic, ginger, tamari, and sesame oil, then running it through my little smoker with some pecan chips for half an hour. It came out very smoky--maybe I should have done my salt with pecan!

Wild Rice Seaweed Salad

Dressing:
3T apple cider vinegar
1T oil
juice from a 1cm length of ginger (I just slice it and squash it with my garlic press)
a shallot, minced
1/4t salt, several grindings of black pepper, and 1t Aleppo pepper

Salad:
1C wild rice, cooked and drained
a big handful of wakame or other seaweed, soaked in cool water and cut into bite- size pieces
3 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
12oz smoked tofu, cut into little rectangles
a big red apple, cored and cut into pieces similar in size to the tofu pieces
1C pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
a small handful of parsley, coarsely chopped
I would have added maybe 4 green onions, thinly sliced, but I was out.
Some dried cherries might have been nice, too.

Whisk the dressing in a large bowl, then put in everything else and mix thoroughly.

wild rice seaweed salad

2 comments:

joannamauselina said...

It looks yummy beyond belief. I am probably going to have crunchy granola tomorrow for my work lunch. I'm jealous.

joannamauselina said...

I am looking at it again and feeling sad about the dull lunch I will have today. I was thinking I could make it, but I'm not up to going to the store, and I don't have a little stove top smoker. Sigh