Tuesday, May 19, 2009

tropical sauerkraut, or how to peel a pineapple

sauerkraut ingredients

My last batch of sauerkraut is getting low, so I started a fresh batch today. This one had 2.25kg cabbage; 800g pineapple; 2 onions (325g); 325g carrots; 30g fresh ginger; 2T coriander seed; 3T mustard seed; 6 dried chiles de arbol; some sprigs of mint, tarragon, and Puerto Rican oregano; and 30g kosher salt.

Annie called me up last night to find out how to peel a pineapple. I see now that she's figured it out, but I took these pictures for her benefit and put them here so she can refer to them in the future:

It helps to have a big knife and a big cutting board. First, cut off the pineapple's top and bottom.

topped and tailed

Next, peel it. If you're in a hurry you can peel thickly and get the eyes off all in one go, but that will use up a lot of pineapple. I peel thinly, and get the eyes out in the next step.

peeled

I cut out the eyes by cutting them out in trenches, following the spiral pattern they make.

trenches

Then I cut the pineapple into quarters and cut out and eat the core.

cored and quartered

At this point you can stick it in a Tupperware and into the refrigerator for later, or else proceed to cutting it up into pieces suitable for your purpose, using the trenches as guides.

in pieces

1 comment:

joannamauselina said...

Yours is much more a much more beautiful presentation than mine. I will have to try again.