Sunday, September 6, 2009

lunch for Rachael

scrambled tofu and veg

Rachael and I went to 'Extract' yesterday (we love Jason Bateman), and we planned to go directly from the movie theater downtown to the U-District so Rachael could get her ear pierced by Chuck. Rachael got up late, though, and didn't have time to eat breakfast first, so by the time our movie got out she was really hungry. I'd forgotten my coupon for 20% off jewelry, so we decided to stop by my house to get the coupon and fix some lunch.

I made nice scrambled tofu with frozen peas, in corn tortillas with tomatillo salsa, and fried corn and squash. As we were eating, Rachael asked why I hadn't taken any pictures of our food. I pointed out that it wasn't very photogenic, and she said 'But it's so yummy, Mommy! You should write about it in your blog!' So I got myself seconds and took its picture. Rachael liked the vegetables best, so here's the recipe:

Summer Squash and Corn

Olive oil
A small white onion, thinly sliced
2 summer squashes (yellow ones, not zucchini; ick!), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into semicircles
2 ears of corn, kernels cut from the cobs
salt and pepper
A small handful of basil, cut into chiffonade

Fry the onion and squash with salt and pepper till the squash is very limp and quite brown. Add the corn and continue cooking, stirring frequently, till the corn's warmed through but still pretty crispy. Stir in the basil and take off the heat.

1 comment:

joannamauselina said...

That looks like a good work lunch. I was too busy last night to even eat my lunch. I brought it home and put it in the freezer. I was afraid to eat it because of those mice.