Wednesday, September 17, 2008

allioli

allioli i

Rachael and I tried to make traditional Catalan allioli (with just garlic and olive oil and salt) yesterday using José Andrés' recipe. At first it went well, with our sauce looking creamy and emulsified, though not very thick. About a third of the way through adding the oil, though, it broke and turned into a soup of olive oil speckled with beige clots. I guess this is common. We switched to the modern, cheater's version by adding our failed stuff to an egg yolk, and got some lovely garlicky mayonnaise.

allioli

veg

We put the allioli on stripy-pan-cooked vegetables (Rosa Bianca eggplant, globe zucchini, and semi-hot peppers, and ate it all with tomato-cucumber salad and polenta.

dinner

I fixed the polenta in my fuzzy-logic rice cooker, and it's the first time I've made polenta that Rachael liked. It was really easy, too, with no stirring. I just threw in 1/2C polenta, 2C water, 2T olive oil, some salt and pepper, and a big pinch of nutritional yeast, and ran it through the porridge cycle twice.

saffron ice cream

We had David Leibovitz's coconut-saffron ice cream for pud. Rachael didn't like it, but I did. It had a mysterious taste of honey as well as the saffron.

2 comments:

joannamauselina said...

Wow! What a yummy looking dinner. How come I wasn't invited? I bet I would have like the ice cream. Do you think I could make polenta in my non-fuzzy logic cooker? Love A

bex said...

I thought you were at work, otherwise I'd have invited you. Unfortunately, I think you can't make porridgey things in regular rice cookers.