Monday, February 20, 2012

a happy birthday

birthday girl

Today is Rachael's 23rd birthday, and she didn't want a big party so we had the aunties over for lunch. The menu was a qualified success; Rachael wanted Asian food, and the aunties have conservative, western palates. We had rice, mapo tofu (with hardly any chile but with the rest of the seasoning intact),

mapo dofu


kai-lan (AKA gai lan, Chinese kale, or Chinese broccoli),

kai-lan


an apple daikon salad modeled on a salad I liked at Bako,

apple daikon salad i


and clementine cake with chocolate sorbet (I forgot to take a picture till the party was over).

cake ii

Everyone liked the rice and, somewhat surprisingly, the tofu, but the long pieces of kai-lan were a little hard for the aunties to manipulate and neither had heard of daikon so didn't want to try it. Rachael liked the kai-lan, though--she thought it was vastly superior to the baby bok choy I'd initially planned to make. 'Mommy, you could just substitute this whenever a recipe calls for bok choy!' We also both liked my salad, so I'll record its recipe in case I want to make it again.

Apple Daikon Salad
serves 4-6, depending on what else you're having

a medium, red apple, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
about 12oz of daikon, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced on the diagonal
3 or 4 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
2t yuzu juice or 1t each lime and orange juice
2t peanut oil
1t toasted, crushed sesame seeds
salt

Mix everything together in a big bowl, then transfer to a pretty platter to serve.

1 comment:

joannamauselina said...

Rachael looks, of course, adorable. Everything else looks yummy too. I'm sad I couldn't be there. I would have been a better eater than the aunts.