Sunday, August 16, 2009

Another use for blueberries

blueberry sorbet

I had blueberries left over after I made jam , since my bargain was a little flat (maybe 8 pints) for $8. I decided to see if I could make some sorbet that Rachael would like. She ended up thinking it was just okay (she choked down a bowl, but didn't ask for seconds), but thought it was very good as sorbet goes. I thought it was good, period, and thought I'd better record the recipe while it's still blueberry season.

Blueberry Sorbet

1C water
3 lavender sprigs
1T lime juice
1/2C sugar
5C blueberries
2T clementine cordial or Grand Marnier

Bring the water, lavender, lime juice, and sugar to the boil in a largish pot and let simmer for five minutes or so, till you have a nice lavender-scented syrup. Pluck out the lavender, add the blueberries, and let simmer, covered, till the blueberries are tender. Whiz in the blender till thoroughly smooth, then chill overnight. Add the clementine cordial, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to its directions.

No comments: