Saturday, July 6, 2019

best-yet maque choux


Every year I make maque choux for our Fourth of July picnic, and every year Annie tells me that it’s my best ever. This year I think she may be right! I did a couple of things differently from what I’ve done in the past, and thought I should record it for posterity so that it’s just as good next year. (The maque choux is on the very bottom of the above photo of Rachael’s plate)

The things I did different were minor—I parbaked the corn for ease of shucking and cutting the kernels off, used fancy fake butter instead of oil, and added a pinch of  pimentón to simulate bacon. 

Yummy, Yummy Maque Choux
5 ears of corn
Small onion, diced
Green bell pepper, diced
Garlic to taste, minced
14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes in pulp 
Salt
Black pepper
Pinch pimentón dulce

Bake the unshucked corn for about 10 minutes at 425°F. 

While it cools, sauté the onion, bell pepper, and garlic in the oleo in a big pot with a lid.  

Shuck the corn, getting as much of the silks off as you can. Cut off the kernels into a big bowl, then scrape off the cobs with the back of the knife to get any remaining pulp. Add it to the pan, stir it around for a little bit, then add the remaining ingredients. Give it a last stir, let it come to a simmer, then cook covered, on medium-low, for 5-10 minutes. Taste for salt (canned tomatoes vary a lot in their saltiness), and it’s ready to serve. Good hot or at room temp. 

1 comment:

joannamauselina said...

Yes indeed, it was better than ever. I look forward to it all year long. Maybe we should have it more often than just the Fourth of July.