Saturday, July 12, 2008

guacamole

I used to hate avocados (their horrible, unctuous sliminess!), but have grown to like them in my old age, as long as they're not mushed up too thoroughly--there must be lumps to mitigate the slime. Anyway, I got some nice bargain avocados at Annie's favorite store, so decided to make guacamole out of them.

guacamoleingredients

Ingredients:
2 shallots, 1 coarsely chopped and 1 finely diced
2 serranos, stemmed and coarsely chopped
3 tomatillos
4 radishes, 2 finely diced and 2 thinly sliced
handful of coriander
pinch of salt
3 avocados
juice of a lime

guacamolestart
Toast the unhusked tomatillos on a hot griddle till the husks are covered with charred spots, then peel and coarsely chop them. Put them in your molcajete or mortar, along with the coarsely chopped shallot, serranos, tomatillos, about 2/3 of the coriander, and the salt. Grind it all up till you get tired of grinding, then add the avocado. I scoop the flesh from the shell then mush it through my fingers, leaving plenty of lumps. Add the finely diced radish and shallot, the remaining coriander leaves very coarsely chopped, and the lime juice, mix it all together, and decorate with the radish slices.

prettyguacamole

I ate it for my breakfast with tortillas and fried duck eggs, along with some really good watermelon (with seeds!) that I got at Annie's favorite store.
guacamolebreakfast

1 comment:

joannamauselina said...

Wow! That is a pretty fancy breakfast. Will try your guacamole. I'm glad you like lumpy avocado. it's great. Looking forward to dinner. Love A