Thursday, July 24, 2008

peach jam

jamingredients
Peaches were $1 a pound at Safeway, so on Tuesday I bought some (1.6kg!) for jam. I decided to make Honey Lavender Peach from Mes Confitures, using some nice French lavender from the yard. One trouble with recipes from that book is that they often take a couple of days: you get everything cut up and mixed and brought to a boil, then transfer it to a bowl and refrigerate overnight (covered with a parchment disk, but I don't ever bother with that!). The next day you put it all back in the pan and boil it till it's jam, then bottle it. I guess that's only a trouble if you're really eager for jam for your toast, and I have plenty of jam so shouldn't complain.

peach jam
A more serious problem is that the recipes often don't set--maybe French peaches have more pectin than American ones? Anyway, I cooked this till it was 222ºF, and it ended up pretty syrupy. I decided not to reboil it like I did my cherry jam, and last night I had a nice peanut butter and peach syrup sandwich.

1 comment:

joannamauselina said...

Sounds Great! Maybe on ice cream?? I like ice cream better than peanut butter. Love A